Are Australians the new whinging pomms?
Well according to the Guardian UK we are, and I tend to think they might be
As an ex pom, and one who has been known to whinge on occasion 😯 I can speak with some authority on this subject 😀
The poms whinge because they are constantly dealing with grey skies, rain and snow, cold and miserable weather, and an occasional sunny day, just to remind them what they are missing out on for the rest of the year. That’s in general terms.
Of late though, they are whinging with good cause, about the state of their economy and their country as a result of the GFC, that inconvenient truth that the LNP for the most part refuse to acknowledge.
So why would the “The Guardian” single out Australians for this odious, yet seemingly valid, observation?
Well even my sister who still lives in England, and in the past has shown no discernible interest in politics, is talking politics as a result of the Tories and their obsession with austerity measures, which is, at best, prolonging their pain and more likely exacerbating it.
My sister and her partner, regularly visit Aus, and love it here, but have not been able to come out for a few years now due to the cost, and look with envy at what we have as opposed to what England doesn’t have.
- Lowest debt in OECD
- Low unemployment
- Increased productivity
- Wealthiest country per capita in the world
- Housing market coming back
- Share market back to levels pre-GFC
- Amongst the world leaders in low sovereign risk
- 21 years of sustained national growth
- 11 successive years of wages growth greater than inflation
- 13% national growth since the GFC
- 3 AAA credit ratings for the first time.
- Lower tax to GDP than Howard
- Record investment
- Record terms of trade
- Record Infrastructure spend
- over 900,000 jobs created
- Support for Manufacturing
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible Child Care
- Equal pay
- Record increase to Pensions
- Tax-free threshold up from $6,000 to $18,200 and going to $24,000
- Superannuation to 12%
- Lower interest rates saving the average household 5k p/yr
(List compiled by ‘Gecko’ at Pollbludgers.)
And the question that they, and The Guardian are asking is what have we got to whinge about?
Well the answer is; compared to the rest of the world “Very bloody little!”
But will that stop us?
Not on you life, so the question then is… Why?
In the title to this piece, those observant souls may have noticed that I spelt pom with two Ms. The reason for this is because it’s an acronym for “Prisoners Of Media Mendacity”, and therein lies the problem.
The general public in Australia are locked up behind a Murdoch/M S M paywall which is designed to imprison us as surely as any gaol, in a news cycle of negativity which seeks to sell the proposition that regardless of “The Facts”, we should be scared for our economy and the future of this great nation.
Now the Guardian UK knows all about corruption within the ranks of the Murdoch
Media, and was instrumental in exposing said corruption that brought about the Leveson enquiry. We also know that in Canada they introduced “Truth In Media” legislation to deal with the types of issue that we are now facing as the MSM, not content to report “The News”, would rather create “The News” to perpetuate their own agendas:
- To create an impression of unstable government.
- To create fear within the wider community that things are not what in fact they are.
- To give a platform from which the opposition can talk down the economy, creating fear and uncertainty in the business community, and further reducing confidence through lies and misinformation.
- To ultimately bring down a democratically elected government, and replace them with a government not of an informed electorate, but rather one chosen and supported by, and sympathetic to the whims, desires and needs of the mega rich, not the people.
The truth is that for two years+, we have been bombarded with negative opinions from the MSM, which have been portrayed not as opinion but fact.
And as a result, the whinging mantra of the politically uninformed and apathetic citizenry is a verbatim repetition of the lies, spin and slogans of the policy vacuous LNP, and their complicit MSM.
Sadly, despite all the facts listed above and the sunny outlook of an economy that is the envy of the developed world, set to guide us well into future, the overriding pessimism persists, and threatens to take us down the same Austerity road that’s working so well in Europe, the UK and the US of A (and of course, QLD).
Most telling though, are the surveys which clearly show that those that are the most pessimistic about our future, are LNP supporters.
So the logical conclusion to come to, is that LNP supporters are generally the most uninformed and apathetic of citizenry. They are also the most pessimistic, and are therefore the most likely Australians to be the new whinging POMMs
- Guardian starts Australian edition with soft launch (mumbrella.com.au)