I don’t know about you, but I find it passing strange that many people, according to the polls, believe that the LNP are better at managing the economy.
Now leaving aside the fact that IMHO the MSM owned polls are, at best, wrong, if not manipulated to be deliberately misleading, the only reason for this misguided belief is because They (the LNP) say that; “It’s in our DNA“, or that “you’ve got to stop the waste” or “You can’t run an economy, if you can’t produce a surplus”.
The thing is that just because “They” say it, doesn’t make it right, and based on their past record it would be fair to say that there is a good argument for believing otherwise.
- Selling off Telstra, with the promise and personal guarantee from J W Howard, of it being a great investment for “Mum and Dad” investors, left many facing financial ruin, because “they” said it, and were believed.
- Selling off our gold reserves at bargain basement prices, took place because “they” thought it was a good idea.
- Privatisation of service delivery is in their DNA, and “they” tell us how it will improve service delivery, despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary.
- Austerity measures are in their DNA, and “they” continue to push these measures despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary, and you just have to ask people in the UK and much of Europe how that’s working for them?
- The “Trickle down effect” was and is still a major part of their strategy for dealing with the GFC and debt, and is in their DNA, and “they” tell us that it’s a legitimate economic strategy, ignoring the fact that the only people who believe that it works are the right wing nut-jobs.
- To deal with carbon emissions, “they” tell us that they want to dismantle the carbon price, and instead plant millions of trees, that will take years to grow (if they grow at all), and give lots of tax payers money to the worst emitters, in the hope that they will use the money to cut emissions.
So one could safely conclude that what “they” tell us is, at the very least, questionable, and the most obvious things in “Their DNA” are dishonesty and stupidity!
It is also a bit rich (pardon the pun) for Abbott to cry “Stop the waste!”, as he points to the “golden years” of Howard, who’s tenure was singled out as the most profligate in 200 years of Australia’s political history, and as his own record stands as the most expensive LOTO in our history.
- For another clear example of Abbott’s waste please read the first comment below, by Kaye Lee, about extra shadow ministers. (Thanks Kaye 😀 )
As an aside, by far the most expensive ex PM’s are also from the Liberal party stables!
As far as the old worn out chestnut of “You can’t run an economy, if you can’t produce a surplus”. Someone should remind Abbott, Hockey and Robb that the AAA rating from all three agencies, was awarded while the government was running a deficit, and was reconfirmed while the government was still in deficit.
They should also be reminded that this was NOT achieved under Howard, or in fact any LNP government ever, and that “The Golden years” of Howard’s surpluses were at the expense of a huge infrastructure deficit that we are still dealing with and paying for.
They should also be reminded that while “they” say, ad infinitum, that the government is incompetent and cannot be trusted to run the economy, the rest of the developed world looks on with envy at the economic numbers that this government have produced on:
- interest rates.
- Debt to GDP
We should also remember that “they” had a plan for dealing with the GFC, which included;
- Austerity measures, which would have cut services and put thousands on the dole cues.
- A stimulus package which was a fraction of the one that was implemented, and consisted of handing out money to wealthy business owners, in the hope that they would employ some of the many unemployed (The trickle down effect).
- A plan to maintain surpluses to the detriment of workers and consumer confidence, that most credible economic experts agreed would almost definitely have sent our economy on a downward spiral, following the bulk of the developed world into recession.
So while “they” tell us how good they are/were at running the economy, stopping the waste, turning back the boats etc, we should raise our collective voices and say in no uncertain terms;
“Tony, self praise is no recommendation!
- Repudiating the Negative (theaimn.com)