GFC… Ooh I’ve gotta get me some of that!
With the election over, and at the risk of being accused of sour grapes, I have to say that apart from the loss, there are a few things that I find really disturbing. 😯
Firstly, I have no problems with the other team winning in a free and fair election, but I don’t believe that this election was either free, or fair.
Now I know that the ALP had their problems, due in part to nervous nellies who just couldn’t hold their nerve when confronted by the myriad of bad (read suspect) opinion polls, compounded further by a great deal of leadership speculation and whiteanting by certain factions within the party.
As annoying, frustrating and destabilising as those things are, I don’t believe that these were the main reasons for what happened, and I don’t believe that this was a free election in any sense of the word, and the things that I find most disturbing in relation to that, are:
- The fact that so many alleged journalists were prepared to throw their code of ethics (and I use the word “ethics” advisedly) to the gutter for the sake of selling Murdoch’s boy through blatant lies and spin.
- That an election in such a supposedly strong democracy, could be bought and paid for by a citizen of another country, especially one that has such a cloud of corruption and dishonesty hanging over his head.
- That I have real concerns about the debt that Abbott owes to Murdoch and the other magnates that supported the LNP in their deceptions, and how he intends to repay those debts?
- Free indicates IMHO an election that is devoid of coercion either direct or indirect, where voters use their own free will to elect their representatives, and when there is such a blatant disregard for the truth, and the rules of propaganda are exercised to the point of brainwashing, then I would question whether that was a Free election. And with the cost of Murdoch’s support (Which one would expect to be substantial) yet to be disclosed, I would argue that it was neither morally, ethically nor financially free for the citizenry of this country, or the country itself! 😯
I also don’t believe that it was a fair election because:
- Lies and spin were reported as fact by the afore mentioned, ethic discarding, Journalists, and then further broadcast through TV and radio, making sure that maximum coverage of said lies and spin was achieved.
- Any good news stories about the governments many fine achievements, were either ignored, or reported in such a way as to make it appear that it was not a good news story at all, but a monumental failure, as in the BER, and the “Pink Batts” HIP scheme. Both of which were very successful, despite the public perceptions based on the lies told by the LNP and spread by the MSM.
- Due to the blatant bias of the MSM, led by Murdoch’s “News”? LTD, it was all but impossible for the average punter to make an informed decision about who was best to run the country.
I also find it amazing that reporters and journos are still asking of ALP MP’s “So why do you think that you couldn’t get your message out?”, even after the election, knowing full well that they themselves were the reason for it.
- Are they in denial about their complicity?
- Are they that stupid that they really don’t see that they did anything wrong?
- Are they still trying to destabilise the ALP, as a part of an on-goin agenda, that will continue well into the future ?
I personally think it’s the latter, but that is just MHO!
So what are the main messages that came out of this election?
Well I have to say, for me, the messages that came across loud and clear and the ones that I find most disturbing are:
- Despite what I was taught when I was young, this election has proved that if you want to realise your personal ambitions, it is not honesty, but dishonesty that is the best policy! 😦
- That democracy is for sale to the highest bidder, or for the richest people, with vested interests, and a level of sociopathy.
- That with the right propaganda machine behind you, you can tell the biggest of lies, and repeat them often enough and loud enough, so that eventually, without any level of balance or scrutiny, people will believe them. 😯
- That Abbott can claim, as he did after the last election that the Gillard government was illegitimate , when she formed a minority government after negotiating with the independents and minor parties (negotiations that he failed at) but can act like his government is more legitimate, and he has a clear mandate, based on an election handed to him by Murdoch based on lies and spin?
- That three years of mega dummy spit, lies and misinformation, talking down the economy for their own self interest, corrupt, seditious and some would even say, treasonous actions by candidates as well as some of high rank within the LNP should be rewarded with an election win?
So with court cases hanging over the head of Abbott himself, not to mention questions that still need to be asked and answered over his own slush fund;
- The Ashbygate saga, with far reaching implications for many within the LNP both state and federal.
- The Thomson case that is still simmering away, and charges pending against Kathy Jackson who was well supported by Abbott and many others within the LNP.
- The lies and spin that formed the basis of many of his policy positions.
The questions are;
- Is this government any more legitimate than the Gillard government? And I would argue that any government that is elected based on lies and misinformation has little if any legitimacy. 😯
- How can the LNP claim that they have a mandate to dismantle the carbon price, when firstly, they lied about every aspect of their policy for dismantling it; when they are arguing that they recognised the ALP mandate to remove workchoices; when the truth is they had no choice, as the vast majority of voters didn’t want workchoices, but they refused to recognise the ALP mandate for the introduction of an ETS which many people wanted, including Turnbull, who Abbott deposed so as to renege on the deal done? And I would argue that they can’t claim a binding mandate for any of their policies. 😯
- How can they claim any credibility on economics, after stating that we have a “Budget Emergency”, only to now admit that the economy’s in good shape, that they will not get back to their much lauded “Budget Surplus”, any quicker than the ALP would (WTF?) , and that under them the much reviled debt will actually increase, before they can reduce it? And I would argue very strongly that They Can’t!
So they lied to the people.
They have sold their souls and our future to Murdoch and the rest of their backers.
They were handed government with a raft of policies that without the backing of Murdoch’s media empire, would have been seen for the rubbish that they are!
So as the world looks on in disbelief, they conned the swinging voters of this country into voting against their own and the nations best interests, and to effectively say:
GFC… Ooh I’ve gotta get me some of that!
Now I know that it’s not nice to miss out on something that everyone else seems to have, but… W…T…F…?
- Murdoch celebrates conservative victory in Australia with Twitter tirade (theguardian.com)
- #OneTermTony – back to basics (theaimn.com)
- What mandate Mr Abbott? (truthseekersmusings.wordpress.com)
- Murdoch’s Australian election rig (paulocanning.blogspot.com)