So, this is adult government?
For a man who has just had the longest dummy spit in Australian political history, to claim that he was going to provide “Adult” government, was, I thought, a bit of a long bow to draw.
In fact, I thought it was a completely ludicrous claim. 😯
But then there were so many ludicrous claims being made by the LNP through the last few weeks of the election campaign, not to mention the three years of dummy spitting, prior to the campaign, that it seemed to get somewhat lost in the midst of the torent of BS that was constantly gushing from the LNP ranks.
So, what are the connotations of “Adult” government?
Well, the word “adult” in this context implies;
- Grown up.
And with less than four weeks since the election, what have we seen from this “adult” government?
- Gloating, and spiteful and irrational sackings = hardly “Grown up?
- An election win, based on a campaign filled with lies, spin and misinformation, and resulting in one of the most dishonest governments this country has ever seen, led by a consummate liar… Definitely NOT honest!
- In stark contrast to his three years as LOTO, where he would call a presser for the opening of an envelope, we have seen one of the most concerted efforts to restrict press and media access to MPs; an effort that would seem to be at odds with Abbott’s “Crystal Clear” mantra prior to the election… No transparency there?
- With the first act of the incoming Attorney General (George Brandis), being to get Peta Credlin off her DUI charge, and the latest revelations about Brandis and Joyce claiming expenses for a trip to a shock jock mates wedding, which Brandis is still calling a legitimate claim, along with the LNP involvement in the Ashby and Thomson cases, Abbott’s own slush fund affair etc etc, accountability doesn’t appear to be a priority.
- The points already raised WRT Brandis, clearly show that the only level of responsibility that will be afforded, will be towards the previous government being responsible for causing the LNP to start breaking promises and doing backflips.
- We all know that we can rely on Tony Abbott and the LNP to tell lies, spin information with a view to mislead, hide information and the truth, while big business can rely on him to further their agendas and income stream, to the detriment of the rest. So reliable?
- Fairness has never been a part of the LNP, it’s just NOT in their DNA, and workchoices was a classic example, but we have a more relevant example in Brnadis, who will not only trash fairness, but also has already started trashing justice as well.
- To have good international and domestic, adult relationships, you have to be involved in reasonable discourse and engagement, and to form reasoned arguments based on good policy and understanding of the relevant issues founded on the best available information. Listening to your own “experts”, engaged to only tell you what you want to hear, while dismissing the vast majority of “real” experts who tell you things you don’t want to hear, is far from being “reasonable”, or for that matter… Adult?
The truth is that with just over three weeks since the election, what we have seen so far of Tony Abbott’s “Adult” government, is more aptly described as “Adulterous” government.
Adulterers are generally;
- Inherently dishonest.
- Always trying to hide the truth.
- Prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to cover their own transgressions
- Prepared to do shady and unsavoury deals to achieve their goals.
- prepared to do and say anything to cover their own arses.
- Are morally challenged.
- Ego driven.
- Rarely responsible, preferring to blame someone else for their mistakes and shortcomings (Including their victims).
- The sort of people who, more often than not, end up hurting the vulnerable and innocent.
So, adult or adulterous?
Tony Abbott would have us believe that he is delivering Adult government.
I would suggest that what we are getting is NOT.
“So, this is ‘Adult’ government? …. Mmmmm? 😉