While the LNP are looking to cut spending on such frivolous public service areas as;
- Public education.
- Public health.
- Science and research.
- Social security.
- Overseas aid.
etc etc, they are apparently happy to spend… well who knows how much on “Operation Sovereign Borders”, and their obsession with boats? And yet more millions of dollars on another enquiry (the first eight, or so, just weren’t enough?) into what was (despite the lies and rhetoric from the LNP and Murdoch press) essentially a successful part of the stimulus package. A scheme that actually saw a drop in the number of industry related fatalities compared with previous years.
But I digress 😀
Anyhoo, what is this “governments” (and I use the term with tongue firmly planted in cheek 😯 ) problem with boats?
To refresh our collective memories, and roughly in chronological order, they wanted/want;
- To “Stop the boats”.
- To “Tow back the boats”.
- To “Turn back the boats”… Oh yeah, when it’s safe to do so.
- To “Buy back boats”.
- To “Give away boats”
- To look like they’re actually doing something… by employing more of our boats?
- According to Fairfax, the next one is to be…wait for it … “Swap the boats”? WTF?
Following on from #7, we are told that they may be considering buying nice shiny new, powered life boats, to replace the leaky and generally unseaworthy craft, that the people smugglers are currently employing… W…T…F? 🙄
So, if in fact there is a plan… 😆 (remember this is the LNP were talking about) 😆 what does it entail?
- Do they buy them for our navy and coastguard, to use to become a “Taxi” service back to indonesia? (I thought that they weren’t going to be a “Taxi service? WTF?) Or;
- Do they buy them to transfer the asylum seekers to, and then send them on their merry way, in a boat much more likely to do the trip numerous times, if they don’t get caught again, meanwhile further polluting the oceans with scuttled fishing boats, or towing them home to re-sell? 😆
Now, if they go for the first option, as far as I can see they may well hit a few more funding blowouts, logistical speed bumps and the same massive road block that they are currently up against, as;
- The cost of buying and maintaining powered lifeboats would not be covered in Hockey’s MYEFO, so would have to go on that dastardly “Credit card” 😯 .
- These boats would have to be big enough to carry up to around two hundred people safely, unless they send them out in pairs… or more?
- Our sailors lives will be put at risk while crewing these boats, full of scared and angry people who’ve just been taken off a boat that they paid good money to be on, that could have potentially killed them, and put on a boat that is more likely to get them to Australia… if it was their boat, which was their gaol in the first place… and what they paid for?
- These boats will be Australian vessels, in Indonesian territorial waters… Mmmm 😉 ?
- Unless they plan to find a deserted indonesian island or coastal area, to dump the asylum seekers on, they will need Indonesia on board with a policy that they have already, repeatedly condemned.
If they go for option 2, we will;
- Spend a fortune on boats, which will prove a real bonus for Indonesian fishermen, who will be able to illegally fish in our waters much more safely, or people smugglers, who will be able to charge more for a trip on a boat that’s less likely… to sink. 😯
- Probably see the People smugglers setting up something akin to a shuttle service to Australia, in their shiny new boats, with bookings made at travel agents, 😯
- See many Indonesian fishermen cuing up to take part in the Australian “governments” (Read “Idiots”) boat swap deal. 😛
Now I know that some of my scenarios might seem a bit… over the top, (surely not? 😯 ) but then there are no surprises with the LNP, except that, for a party that’s diametrically opposed to government owned enterprise, it may well be that the biggest growth industry, and one of the few that will be open for business in 2014 will be the latest publicly owned industry of;
“Morrison’s Boats R us”… WTF? 😯