I have to admit to feeling somewhat flat, and uninspired by the political landscape/discourse at the moment, but it appears that I’m not alone. It feels a bit like the nation is holding its collective breath, in anticipation of the next big policy and or diplomatic stuff up, by this Abbott led catastrophe we laughingly call a government.
While the MSM are busy lauding his latest efforts at selling us out to overseas interests, as a great win and diplomatic triumph for “The Blunder from Downunder”, there are many at home asking the questions that the MSM should be asking… like:
- What are the “REAL” benefits, if any, for the nation?
- Who benefits the most from these FTA’s?
- And most importantly, are there ISDS provisions included, and if so …WHY?
But of course the chances are that these questions will go largely unasked, and consequently largely unanswered.
It also seems, from the latest Fairfax Nielsen poll (Labor 52%, LNP 48% TPP), that many punters are not overly impressed with the LNP performance so far, with 9 out of 10 respondents citing the amendments to 18C, and associated legislation as of great concern, and not warranted, or wanted.
Now it appears that Brandis is likely to be forced to backflip on his promise to clear Bolt’s name, which I’m sure will be very upsetting for the likes of Gina and her “Boy” Bolt, who will just have to learn to live with the original determination. 😦 😉
For me though, the thing that really jumps out is the level of publicly displayed hypocrisy, from a federal mob that screams “free speech” at every opportunity to further their own cause, and protect their mates, while their fascist state counterparts ably supported by the MSM do all they can to stifle free speech, with draconian anti association laws like the VLAD laws in QLD.
And while I’m on the subject of QLD, and the fascist state that it has pretty much become, it is increasingly evident that newman (no Capital N deserved 😯 ) is trying to takes us back to the years of Gerrymander “Don’t you worry about that” Joe.
He is now looking at ways to;
- Make it harder for the marginalised to vote.
- Politicise and/or silence the public service.
- Further erode the effectiveness of the watchdogs, which he started from day 1, under the guise of “Cutting red and green tape” (sound familiar?).
Amongst other things…
The sad truth is that the LNP are ideologically driven, by the mantra “Greed is good” (at least when it’s right wing greed), with the almighty dollar being the determining factor in all areas of policy making, and consequently the reason why they are worse than useless when it comes to good public policy; and they are the same, both state and federal!
All these issues, and more, are symptomatic of the aforementioned ideologies, dictating policy direction.
As a nurse, who worked for many years in the public health system in QLD , SWMBO still has friends in the QLD system who tell a disturbing story of;
- Corporate bullying of nurses, allied health workers and even doctors , as all levels of management jockey to find some sort of job security for themselves, as they are forced to find further savings in a system that is already stressed to breaking point as a direct result of newman’s previous cuts.
- Morale at an all time low, throughout the sector.
- A “health care” service that takes no responsibility for the “health” or “care” of its own workers.
- A culture of fear, propagated by implied threats to, what if any, job security remains, for any that try to speak out against “The System”, or its masters.
Doesn’t sound much like democracy or free speech to me?
And meanwhile, back at the trough, similar types of laws are already doing the rounds in Vic, while Tassie will almost definitely jump on the VLAD/LNP bandwagon, as a way to contain the damage and fallout from his promise to tear up the ‘Forestry accord”.
So although we may see a major backflip (one of many) from this “Adult, no excuses, no surprises” — NO HONESTY — LNP mob, the truth is, the fact that they even considered these amendments clearly shows their screwed priorities when it comes to “Free Speech”, and policy in general.
If you live in a state other than QLD, and are thinking “I’m glad I don’t live there!”, all I can say is… Just wait!
So as we wait with baited breath for Hockeys axe to fall on those of us identified as leeches on society… you know, pensioners and the disabled etc, and we witness further acts of gross hypocritical bastardry, like the states getting on board with Hockey’s assets sell offs, let’s use what free speech we have left, to tell the LNP unequivocally:
- Hands off our democracy!
- Hands off our public assets!
- Stop degrading our public services!
- Leave our long-suffering aged and disabled pensioners, their homes and their pensions alone!
And BTW, our Free speech IS NOT for sale!