With the TURC dominating the headlines, as Shorten faces the blatantly outrageous Stoljar searching in vain for the smoking gun, to fulfil the LNP’ers brief of union and Labor bashing, the question is:
“Should a future ALP government adopt the Abbott model for political opponent bashing, seeing as how the precedent has now been set”?
Well I for one say a resounding yes 😯 , as I sincerely believe it would be in the public interest to do so. 😉
The truth is that at a time when the LNP have been telling us that the sick, disabled, elderly, disadvantaged, young, unemployed and basically all from the lower Socio-Econ0mic demographic, have to tighten their belts, so that the mega rich can continue to receive huge subsidies, and they can pat themselves on their collective backs for achieving “welfare sustainability”, and some mythical surplus , they are throwing tens of millions of tax payers dollars at blatant political witch hunts, under the barely veiled guise of Royal Commissions. 😈
So what should the ALP do? ❓
Well ideally, IMHO a federal ICAC would be the place to start, but I think that they should at least set up an RC into political donations, with terms of reference written by the ALP, and covering such areas as:
- Trust funds, such as Abbott’s own “Australians for honest politics” fund
- Money laundering
- Cash for access, as per “Treasurer for sale”
- Entities like Joe Hockey’s Millennium Forum
- Party fund raising events held in the speakers chambers
- Mafia links in funding
An RC into travel and living away from home allowance rorting, with terms of reference including:
- claiming expenses for private functions like weddings of friends, relatives and colleagues.
- Charity bike rides and other similar public events
- Claiming a living away from home allowance for staying in a family owned home.
- Overseas and interstate junkets that coincide with the timing of major sporting, social and/or cultural events, that require no official representation
An RC into the unholy alliance between multi national corporations and think tanks in the formulation of public policy, with terms of reference including:
- The level of overseas influence exerted by such groups as the IPA
- How much LNP policy is determined by multi national self interest
An RC into the media, with terms of reference including:
- Recommendations for mandatory accountability for false and misleading reporting, including headline for headline corrections and apologies
- Ownership rules and responsibilities
- Consequences for blatant bias based on self interest
- Recommendations for changes to a Canadian style ‘truth in media’ legislation.
Now I know that some will say I’ve gone a bit over the top 😯 but in my humble opinion… The more the merrier, and all I have to say to the LNP’ers is;
Well Tones, you set the precedent! 😛
What other RC’s would you like to see Labor announce… If any?